The word is out! It cannot be controverted nor can it legitimately be denied.
What happened? The most important comparison study ever performed to show once and for all: who comes to court better. Persons on bail or persons released unsecured through a pretrial service agency?
For 22 years The Federal Bureau of Justice Statistics has been saying commercial bail wins, but recently the liberal pretrial services advocates whined to the current defendant-friendly administration in Washington about how those reports were making them look bad. So now the administration says we shouldn’t pay any attention to all those Bureau of Justice Statistics findings.
Ok, so forget all that. A new study just out proves the superiority of commercial bail once and for all. One of the nation’s largest pretrial service agencies, the one in Houston, Texas, own records for 2006, 2007 and 2008 were fully reviewed and analyzed and it was discovered that commercial bail does a two to one better job for getting persons to court.
For each of the three years reviewed approximately 4,500 defendants on bail and 4,500 on unsecured release were monitored the same way by pretrial services agency staff. For each of those three years non-bail defendants had a 100% worse failure to appear rate. That’s right! Only half as many defendants on bail failed to appear as compared to the pretrial service agency defendants with no bail bond. What better proof could one ask for to show that commercial bail outperforms pretrial service agencies in getting defendants to court?
So is the issue about pretrial services now put fully to rest?
If you would like to receive a copy of the reports please email email@example.com.
Honorary Jerryism of the Day:
“You can’t shine a cow pattie.” Lyndon Johnson
Jerry Watson, Chief Legal Officer of AIA, blogging about the legislative side of the bail bond industry. AIA (Allegheny Casualty, International Fidelity and Associated Bond) is the largest and oldest bail bond insurance company in the nation.
- Behind the Paper with Jerry Watson
- Jerry Watson serves as Chief Legal Officer to AIA, Senior Vice-President and Legal Counsel, Bail, at IFIC. He is the immediate past Chairman of the Private Enterprise Board of Directors of the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) – America’s largest bi-partisan state legislator member organization on whose board he has represented the commercial bail industry for the past 15 years. He has also served as General Counsel of the American Bail Coalition since its founding and is a member of the Bail Advisory Council of the Surety and Fidelity Association of America (SFAA). His undergraduate and law degrees are from Baylor University and he is a graduate of the National College of Criminal Defense Attorneys and Public Defenders. He has testified as an expert on bail in various state and federal cases, among them being the country’s largest bail related damage suits. In Jerry’s 42 years in the bail industry, always as an attorney, he has represented local retail agents, general agencies, insurance companies and insurance companies’ trade associations before state and federal courts and regulatory agencies.
- aia (9)
- Bail (8)
- Bail Bond (9)
- bail bond agent (2)
- bail bond blog (1)
- Bail Bond industry (11)
- Bail bond insurance (5)
- Bail bonds (5)
- bails bond (1)
- Commercial Bail Bonding (1)
- Conflict (1)
- expertbail (9)
- jerry watson (3)
- Pretrial (6)
- Pretrial Justice Institute (2)
- Pretrial Programs (3)
- Pretrial Release (10)
- Pretrial Service Agencies (5)
- surety bail (2)